There are thousands of people who seek out professional teeth whitening services because they want whiter, brighter teeth. However, this is not the only solution that is available. People all want to look better and having whiter teeth is a simple way to improve the appearance. Because of today’s society that prizes youth and beauty, white teeth are a must-have. Just be sure that you know what you are getting into before you get too deep into the whitening process. Here are some teeth whitening tips to help:
- Check the color of your teeth. Hold up a piece of computer paper to your face and look in the mirror. If your teeth appear yellowish, they can be treated. Some peroxide treatments won’t work on discoloration for everyone, so it is important to check. If your teeth look grayish when compared to the paper, the odds are that the staining is from within. That means that they can only be fixed with veneers or by being covered with bonding. Those who have fair skin also have thin enamel, and are more likely to have this issue.
- Eat right. Black coffee and red wine should be followed with water to lower the risk of staining your teeth. It takes about 30 seconds for the pigments to get into your teeth and water will get it out before it causes serious damage. Non-skim milk added to coffee helps reduce the risk, as does any food that has cellulose.
- DIY whitening is affordable and easy. At home systems are just as effective as your dentist and are much more affordable. It will take more time for you to see results, but the fact that you will be able to get results is undeniable. Make sure that you don’t use trays that weren’t molded to your mouth because the peroxide could damage your gums if it leaks out.
- Prepare your teeth accordingly. Your teeth need to be clean and fresh to be whitened effectively. Right after a trip to the dentist for a cleaning is the ideal time because the whitener will come into contact with your actual teeth, not the plaque on them.
- Keep up the good work. When you have taken the time and energy to whiten your teeth, you need to make sure that you keep them looking great. Regular brushing and light mouthwashes will give you the best results every time. Use whitening toothpaste because it works better and avoid dark mouthwashes that can cause more stains to occur.
It might seem like a lot of work to succeed with teeth whitening on your own, but it’s really just a matter of getting into the habit of taking care of your teeth and learning how to get rid of stains and prevent new ones from forming.